In Flight for their Lives – the Refugee Crisis
‘Share your food with the hungry and provide the poor wanderer with shelter – when you see the naked, clothe them, and do not turn away from your own flesh and blood’ – Isaiah 58
‘My father was a wandering Aramean’ – Deuteronomy 26 (Ki Tavo)
Click here to read the D’var Torah given by Ruth Smilg.
We are all watching in horror as this refugee situation plays on our screens. We can act, we must act:
– You could write to your MP asking them to act – Click here to find out how.
– Together with West London Synagogue, Alyth, will be arranging a shipment of donations to refugees on Thursday 1 October. We need sleeping bags, winter jackets, tents, non-perishable food items and money. Please bring your donations to the synagogue after Yom Kippur.
– Do you have space in your home or a place to rent for a Syrian refugee? Email email@example.com at West London Synagogue who can give you more information.
– Donate to the World Jewish Relief Refugee Crisis Appeal by clicking here.
– Attend an open session on Monday 7 September at 19:45 at the Sternberg Centre to discuss with Rabbi Laura Janner-Klausner and the Alyth Rabbis how we might meaningfully improve the plight of those fleeing desperate situations in their countries of origin. Click here for more information.
– Volunteer at our monthly Drop-In for recent refugees. Alyth Drop-in for Recent Refugees.
Would you like to make a real difference to the lives of refugees arriving in the UK? Every month Alyth runs a drop-in afternoon for refugees who have recently arrived in the UK. Volunteers from the community donate food and provide friendship and support to people in need. Please take time to watch our YouTube video and get in touch with Debbie or Cheryl via Adam Martin firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to get involved. Food or financial donations are always appreciated as well as your time.
– If you are moved to lend your support to the refugees who are finding their way into Europe click here which is a one stop location to find out how to join in with a large number of Jewish community led activities. Our Youth Movement RSY-Netzer has also created a site which impressively explains the current situation and how you can help – click here to go directly to it.
Volunteers are needed to help sort through 14 full lock ups of donations at the Big Yellow storage in North Finchley (401 High Road, N2 8HS). Please email Nic.Schlagman@wls.org.uk if you are able to help.